These recipes were contributed by Lea Dominy, a Corsicana resident, and originally appeared in the CorsicanaNOW April 2015 issue.
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 scoop powder protein
- 1/4 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup fresh strawberries
- 1/4 cup fresh pineapple
- Handful of fresh spinach
- 8 oz. ice
- 8 oz. water
- Combine all ingredients in a blender; mix well.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 cups zucchini, shredded
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. honey
- 1 large egg
- Cooking spray
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- For muffins: Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Level the measurements of both flours with a knife; combine flours with sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt; blend well.
- In a small bowl, combine zucchini, milk, oil, honey and egg; blend well.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture; add milk mixture and stir until moist.
- Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray; spoon batter into cups.
- For topping: Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over muffin tops.
- Bake 15 minutes or until golden brown; remove from pan; cool.
- 1 3/4 lbs. lean ground chuck
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2/3 cup fine, dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- Dash of pepper
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- Mix first 8 ingredients; shape into a loaf.
- Place into loaf-baking dish; bake at 350 F for 1 hour; drain fat.
- Combine last 3 ingredients; spread over baked loaf.
- Return loaf to oven; bake 10 additional minutes.
Salmon Fillet With Citrus and Thyme
Serve with brown rice and asparagus.
- 3 lbs. salmon fillets
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Dash of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 small orange, thinly sliced
- 1 lemon, thinly sliced
- 8 thyme sprigs
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Place salmon on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper; drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake 20-25 minutes.
- Place baked salmon on a serving dish; top with orange and lemon slices and thyme.
Spaghetti Squash Spaghetti
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb. lean ground turkey
- 1/4 onion, chopped
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste
- 1 20-oz. jar organic/healthy option spaghetti sauce
- 1/2 cup mushrooms
- 1 handful spinach
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- Poke holes into spaghetti squash with a fork; bake whole squash for 50 minutes.
- While squash is baking, brown the turkey with onion, salt, pepper and garlic powder.
- Add spaghetti sauce, mushrooms and spinach to browned turkey mix.
- Cut baked squash in half; pull seeds out of center.
- With a fork, pull out stringy meat which becomes the “spaghetti.”
- Add sauce mixture to squash “spaghetti noodles” and serve.
Beef and Corn Casserole
- 4 cups uncooked egg noodles
- 1 lb. lean hamburger or ground turkey
- 1 8-oz. can tomato sauce
- 4 pinches of cumin and garlic salt
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 15-oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cups Colby Jack cheese, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Boil noodles as directed on package.
- Brown meat; drain. Add tomato sauce, cumin, garlic salt, salt and pepper to meat.
- Layer cooked noodles on the bottom of a casserole dish. Add meat mixture; top with a layer of corn followed by a layer of cheese.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes.