These recipes were contributed by Connie Leonard, a Granbury resident, and originally appeared in the GranburyNOW April 2016 issue.
New Mexico Green Chile Stew
- 1 1/2 lbs. ground round
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1-3 Tbsp. crushed red pepper
- 2 cans Ro-Tel tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 lb. potatoes, cut in 1/2 inch cubes
- 1-3 cups chopped Hatch green chiles
- Brown ground meat, onion and garlic. Drain off any fat.
- Put meat and other ingredients into a Crock-Pot; cook 7-8 hours on low or 4-5 hours on high. The amount of crushed red pepper and green chiles determines how hot and spicy it will be.
- Serve with warm flour tortillas.
Baked Green Chili Hominy
- 2 cans hominy
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 stick butter, melted
- 1/2 cup Velveeta, cubed
- 1-2 cans green chilies
Shake of garlic salt
- Drain the hominy.
- Mix with other ingredients and bake at 350 F until hot and bubbly and the cheese melts (about 20-30 minutes.) Great side dish with almost any meal.
Connie’s Creamy Guacamole
- 4 ripe Hass avocados (black in color, slightly soft to the press)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp. Hatch picante sauce
- 2 Tbsp. Kraft Miracle Whip
- Peel and halve avocados; remove pit. Put avocados in food processor.
- Blend with other ingredients until smooth and creamy.
- Serve with chips.
Apple Pie Enchiladas
Makes 6 servings, but it’s easy to double the recipe.
- 1 21-oz. can apple pie filling
- 6 8-oz. pkgs. flour tortillas
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Spoon 2-3 Tbsp. of pie filling into each tortilla and sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up each tortilla, tuck in the end edges, and place in 9×8-inch baking dish, seam side down.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine butter, sugars and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Pour sauce over tortillas; let stand 45 minutes.
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes, or until golden brown.